firehorserider

adventures with Henk the Buell

My Photo
Name:
Location: global

Celebrating people, ideas & things that make the world a better place. Kitchen Chemistry, Social Alchemy, Adventure Activism.

Friday, September 09, 2005


It simply doesn’t get any better than this. September, as usual, is proving to be the nicest month for riding. I got to do my favorite ride again today in hot late-summer B.C. sun with dry pavement and little traffic. Once we passed a few slow-crawling RV’s between Storm Mountain and Radium, Henk and I pretty much had the roads to ourselves. I just lay down on my tank bag and let Henk do the driving. Henk hugs the pavement like a gekko hugs a wall, while I get to fly three feet above the asphalt with the dragonflies and the flutterbys. We passed a mama moose and her baby down at MacLeod Meadows and watched hawks dive and soar on the warm winds. The sign coming into B.C. as you leave Banff National Park now reads, “Welcome to British Columbia…the best place on earth.” Bold statement, but as I drove west contemplating the dramatic mountain landscape in the warm sun under the sharp blue sky, I was easily convinced.

I’m back at Christina Lake, plugged in to a tree beside Henk and my little tent next to Rick and Jim’s private camper they’ve had out here for eighteen years. I left Banff at noon and arrived here at six after gaining an hour and stopping at the cool shady summit between Creston and Salmo to enjoy a love sandwich made for me by Patricia with avocados, tomatoes, feta, and organic greens on great multi-grain bread she’d brought back from Germany. It was carefully wrapped twice, and she even remembered napkins.

I’ve been feeling extremely grateful for my friends this week after coming full circle and reconnecting briefly before looping back out to execute the figure eight I’ve been planning.

Henk and I have covered over 14,000 spectacular Canadian kilometres. In many ways, we’re at the end of a long journey. In many ways, the adventure is just beginning…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home