firehorserider

adventures with Henk the Buell

My Photo
Name:
Location: global

Celebrating people, ideas & things that make the world a better place. Kitchen Chemistry, Social Alchemy, Adventure Activism.

Thursday, September 22, 2005


I woke up at Wal-Mart with four furry legs wrapped around me, a claw in my neck, and two gorgeous brown eyes staring back at me. He's no substitute for Willow Green Eyes, but I'm starting to fall for Ling Ling.

The day before I arrived in Glenwood, Ling bit the face of a child. It was ugly. Purple and puffy. Luckily, it was the daughter of Brett's old business partner and friend, so no lawsuit is pending, but Brett thought he'd have to put Ling down. Ling hates children and has attempted attacks before. Otherwise, he's a perfect dog and has been a perfect friend to Brett for over five years. They've become so close over the course of their travels together that when we left him with a friend for three days, he threw up all over her house thinking he'd been abandoned.

I think I was as depressed as Brett at the idea of putting him down. He called the Australian Shepherd rescue group with the idea they'd perhaps give Ling to an old man who lives alone and hates children. They couldn't help him. He was prepared to come home from Telluride and do the deed despite my pleading. Yesterday, though, Brett decided to try a muzzle. Ling hates it, but he's still alive.

Today we're visiting Brett's friend Bill at his circular house on an eagles' perch above Glenwood Springs with spectacular 360 degree views of the mountains of Aspen and Vail and the fall colors covering the hills like a rich velvet cloak. There are two other beautiful Aussies here, but after our snuggle last night, Ling just wants to hang out with me.

As for what the hell we were doing sleeping at Wal-Mart, that's a whole other story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home