firehorserider

adventures with Henk the Buell

My Photo
Name:
Location: global

Celebrating people, ideas & things that make the world a better place. Kitchen Chemistry, Social Alchemy, Adventure Activism.

Saturday, July 16, 2005

Maybe we have it all wrong. Maybe humans are not the highest form of life on the planet after all. I was watching a dozen bald eagles and their immatures this morning, thinking to myself what an amazing thing to come back as in a next life, given the choice. Then I thought I should be so lucky. These magnificent birds of Bella Coola have the universe by their claws. They live in as close a place to paradise as anyone's ever going to see short of crossing over, they perch in high trees on the protected banks of the clean and fast-flowing glacier-fed Bella Coola River screeching thier high-pitched calls to one other, preening and drying their feathers in the sun and riding the thermals up and down the river valley at whim. Food is never a concern, just a way of life. When they feel like it, they simply take a quick pass over the narrows and nab a little salmon sushi from the abundant flow.

I watched for hours, trying to capture a close-up photo, but ultimately becoming too swept up in the whoosh of their great expanse of wings and giant shadows above to care about photography. As I stared down one particularly beautiful bird high up in a giant pine tree, I wondered to myself: Who's observing who? Maybe she was watching me, thinking to herself: "That's right baby, you, too could become one of us if you learn your lessons well this time around."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home